Curbside trash removal is NOT free!
Did you know:
• Mt. Lebanon spends over 2 million dollars per year on waste removal?
• Each Mt. Lebanon household pays an average of $162.48 in 2013 taxes for its share of solid waste?
• There is a direct cost to the municipality, which is passed on to you, for every pound of trash sent to a landfill?
Did you know towns that adopt a Pay As You Throw program** for waste removal:
• Can reduce trash going to a landfill by 50%?
• Will save the township hundreds of thousands of dollars?
• Have a 90% resident satisfaction rate with the program¹? (as of 2006 there were over 7,100 towns in the U.S., including 200+ in PA, that have Pay As You Throw)
Did you know:
• Of all the possible environmental changes Mt. Lebanon could make, implementing a Pay As You Throw program would by far have the greatest positive impact?
• People who take full advantage of Mt. Lebanon’s recycling program are in effect subsidizing the cost of their non-recycling neighbors’ waste removal?
• We pay for water, electricity, gas, food and everything else based on how much we use. With trash, we generate twice as much as we otherwise would because the cost is hidden in our tax bills.
If you are interested in making a change from traditional trash removal to a program that will save money, increase recycling, decrease waste going to a landfill, and have the greatest positive environmental impact to our community, we ask that you contact ALL of our Commissioners individually to let them know! This is not a Ward issue, but a township issue. Mt. Lebanon’s waste removal contract is up for bid and now is the time to contact our Commissioners:
Matt Kluck – email@example.com
Kristin Linfante – firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Brumfield – email@example.com
Kelly Fraasch – firstname.lastname@example.org
John Bendel – email@example.com
Feel free to cut and paste the following into each of your e-mails:
I am writing to you as a concerned Mt. Lebanon resident. I would like you to support a Pay As You Throw (PAYT) program for waste removal in Mt. Lebanon. PAYT has been around in the U.S. for decades and is in thousands of communities. Residents who participate in PAYT programs typically have high satisfaction with it and appreciate their local government being fiscally responsible by embracing a program that saves the township significant dollars. Mt. Lebanon has won many awards for its environmental activities and adopting a PAYT program would be one of its greatest achievements to date. I support a PAYT program and bringing equity of trash removal back into the hands of the residents, and I urge you to do the same.
¹ AMERIPEN Analysis of Strategies and Financial Platforms to Increase the Recovery of Used Packaging, AMERIPEN, August 27, 2013, page 19